Monday, November 21, 2011
There are no current scientific tests to prove the existence of shadow people or what they might be. There are , however, many theories attempting to explain the phenomenon. These include:
1. Optical Illusions? Brought on by physiological or psychological circumstances, drug use, side effects of medication, schizophrenia or sleep deprivation. The brain incorrectly interprets random patterns of light and shadow as familiar patterns such as faces and human forms. (See 5.10.10 blog entry: Do You See What I See? on matrixing).
2. Time Travelers? Could people from the future have found a way to time travel and be visiting us in the form of shadow people?
3. Ghosts? Shadow people may be only one more type of ghostly manifestation along with ectoplasmic mist, orbs and apparitions.
4. Demons? Accompanying feelings of malevolence and darkness lead researchers to theorize that shadow people might be possible demons.
5. Astral Bodies? Author and lecturer Jerry Gross claims we all travel out of our bodies when we sleep. Could shadow people be the essences or shadows of people having out-of-body experiences?
6. Hypnagogia? Also known as "waking sleep," hypnagogia is the physiological state when a person is between sleep and full consciousness allowing for subconscious perceptions which could include the "seeing" of shadow people.
Next Up: Ghost Hunters of Asheville Tours' experience with the shadow person phenomenon. Coming in Defining Shadow People (Pt. 3)!